He is listening...

Most of us know 2 Chronicles 7:14, but today as I was meditating on this chapter it struck me that 2 Chronicles 7:15 is equally as powerful in its position found in this text. 2 Chronicles 7:15 reads "Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayer that is made in this place."

Solomon had prayed and sacrificed prior when the temple was dedicated to the LORD. It was not the words nor the sacrifices of Solomon but the position of his heart that truly cried out to the LORD. His devotion and love that drew the attention and response found in verses 11-22. Verses that give conditional guidance and strict warning about spending time with the LORD. Warnings that clearly state even if great catastrophe comes, you must spend time with me, you must keep this very same heart you have today (1 Chr 7:13, 17-18)

Many of us take prayer and time to read the Word as something we do when we have time. Our prayers are weak, given only at meals and in time of dire need, instead of scripture filled and Christ centered; given without ceasing. Our prayers are self centered and selfishly motivated to be about us. We substitute devotionals for the word of God to save time. We read Piper, Spurgeon, Jesus Calling, and believe we have done our due diligence to the Word of God. (Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with devotionals unless they have become our Bible.)

In 2 Chr 7:15 God says I am watching and I am listening for you. What does He see when we prayer and read the Word? Are we doing these things out of motivation to draw nearer to the Father or simply trying to appease Him. Just as He knew the very position of Solomon's heart, He knows ours as well. What God wants is not a few measly minutes of our time, but He wants us to position ourselves directly in His presence with no other distractions; no phones, texting, e-mailing, facebooking, conversations, etc...

His ears are attentive so fill them with prayer. Adore God for all that He is, Confess your sin, Thank Him for all that He has done, Stand in the gap for others that are in need, for you family, and lastly for yourself. Read the word and meditate upon it that God would speak into your life today a truth that changes you to become more like Him. He is attentive and knows How much you need Him so spend time with Him now, don't wait for the earthquakes of life to come.

Knowing that His eyes are upon us and His desire for us is to position ourselves in Him at all times may we be like David in Psalm 119:9-16 "How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Your word. With all my heart I have sought You. Do not let me wander from Your commandments. Your word I have treasured in my heart, That I may not sin against You. Blessed are You, O Lord, Teach me Your statutes. With my lips I have told of All the ordinances of Your mouth. I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies, As much as in all riches. I will meditate on Your precepts And regard Your ways.I shall delight in Your statutes; I shall not forget Your word." Stop - meditate upon the Word of the LORD - pray (repeat as necessary every moment of every day!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Act Like Men

Be Watchful

Would anyone care?